When I took my first trip as a teenager to New York, some of my fondest memories were riding the 6 train and seeing the street art that stretched along the tall apartment buildings. So when I spotted this playful manicure that is a mashup of ’80s graffiti and Donatello of the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” it took me back to the Bronx.
“I started with intentions to just use greens and blues for this particular design, but I decided that it needed a pop of a more contrasting color — that’s where the purple came from,” Chalkboard Nails blogger Sarah explains. “I love that you can’t predict what your splatters are going to look like.”
Read on for Sarah’s step-by-step instructions on how to get this look at home:
1. Cover your workspace with wax paper to protect it from the flying paint!
2. Polish your nails in a base color. For this look, use China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint.
3. Cut a drinking straw in half and dip it into a different nail polish.
5. Hold the straw three to four inches above your nails. Do a fast and hard puff of air through the straw. The intensity with which you propel the polish will determine the quality of your splatters. Continue to dip the straw and splatter until you have a good balance on all your nails.
6. Repeat the process with more colors as desired until your design is finished.
7. Clean up any dripping nail polish on your fingers with a cotton swab dipped in remover. Tip: cover the areas surrounding your nails with tape before painting to make clean up easier.
8. Once dry, finish with topcoat to make sure your design doesn’t get smeared.
What do you think about this paint splatter-inspired manicure?